Monday, August 23, 2010

The Library

This summer I sold my soul to the devil, and I found myself back at the Franklin County Library. I had no problem with that though. I'm very service oriented, and I enjoyed serving the wonderful citizens of Mount Vernon (no sarcasm there). I had volunteered my services at the library once before, so it was good to see "The Library Girls" again AKA the amazing women I work with. They were glad to see me too...especially when the heavy objects came into play. Just kidding! They enjoy my entertainment a lot as well.

I would now like to take this opportunity and inform you that working at a library is NOT easy work. The library this summer was a crazy place to be between children's programs (186 being our highest attendance), a snake, massive renovations, 2,700 book deletions, Coke Floats, Lemon Icebox Pies, babysitting, shocking patrons with $1 fax fees, belting out a friendly "HELLO!" every time someone came in, being a magician's assistant, blowing up balloons, helping computer illiterates, conducting research, teaching teenager's how to read non-electronic clocks, exterminating a hornet the size of my open palm, plotting to overtake the Loomis armored truck, and on and on... SO do not assume that we just sit and stare at computer screens and read books. You would be wrong.

It seems just like yesterday that I came back, and now I must go. I must return to college and continue my education. I will truly miss seeing my co-workers and our regular patrons. I may even miss seeing all of the children who wonder why I don't like Dr. Seuss, who keep the building loud and lively and beg for thirty more minutes on a computer. Okay, yes I will...

Well anyways, it's been a great summer at the library.

Thanks for having (and putting up with) me!

No comments:

Post a Comment