Friday, August 6, 2010

Popcorn Worthy? - Salt


READER BEWARE: Opinions Are Expressed Below

I recently discovered that I have the amazing power to predict the future. No, not really...it's just that Salt, starring luscious lips Angelina Jolie, was just too predictable for my taste.

Let me start off by saying that this movie was intended for fun mindless action. Nothing else. It seemed like someone took the script, shot it up with an AK-47 and then decided to go with that. In other words, the plot and dialogue was flimsy. However, there was a great concept behind it all. Russian sleeper agents that are raised from birth are living in America...sound familiar? I even loved the Lee Harvey Oswald reference. Was he really a sleeper agent that successfully sent a Russian "screw you" message by killing John F. Kennedy? Other than those two concepts, the rest of the plot fell flat and I became bored.

As far as the action, it was the same old stuff. I wasn't on the edge of my seat at all, and a rush of adrenaline did not surge through my body even for a split second. Most of it could not be humanly possible to do without dying in the process. Sure it's a movie, and Jolie is a CIA agent (possible Russian spy), but she's also human. I guess they were going for a James Bond approach. Another flaw was the love factor. Jolie's character was married to a German (relatively unknown actor August Diehl), and the love was there...but not really. He had a weak screen presence (barely any presence at all) and no character development. The movie tried to convince me that they loved each other by showing three second flashbacks of them falling for each other. I just didn't feel it.

The only thing that this movie has going for it is Jolie herself. Otherwise I could have slept through this movie and not cared. I think everyone involved in this movie knew that too...that's why they ditched Tom Cruise and made the main role female. Jolie is a one of a kind lead action star and just what this movie needed to bring in an audience. And for the sidekick, best friend role, please cast someone else other than Liev Schreiber. He's a good actor, but he wasn't right for this movie because he ruined the ending. I won't say why...

And now for the music. It was nothing to write home about. If you want a good action movie, you've got to have some good music to back it up. It was lacking both.

The saddest part of all is that a sequel was set up. To be honest...I'm not going to see it. Who is Salt? I know who she is, and I've seen enough.

2.5 Popcorn Kernels Out Of 5 (for being boring and having gaping plot holes)



Photo provided by Google

No comments:

Post a Comment