Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Popcorn Worthy? - Toy Story 3


READER BEWARE: Opinions Are Expressed Below

OK, I know that this review is coming in WAY late...but better late than never. I just got to see the movie, so get off my back! The question is now, why waste my breath on reviewing a Pixar movie? What do I mean by that? Well, unless you have been living under a rock...you should know that anything that has Pixar attached to it is absolutely amazing. I can't believe it all started in 1995 with the first Toy Story. I was only 5 at that time...I feel so old now. Since then we have been blessed to see A Bug's Life, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Toy Story 2, Wall-E and Up. Each Pixar movie has proved over and over again to have a great plot, amazing graphics and witty humor.

So what is there to say about Toy Story 3? Well, Pixar knew its main audience for this movie would be my generation. Let's face it...we practically grew up alongside Andy and the gang of toys. So the issues brought up in Toy Story 3 were very sensitive to me. Be advised, this movie is not a "feel-good" movie. I spent most of the movie fighting back tears to spare my dignity. However, there were a few laughs along the way, but they couldn't erase the harsh, bitter and brutal reality of what was happening to Woody and those few toys still left. It's so heart wrenching, and some parts were a little too dark and mature for a child's understanding. That's as far as I'm going into it... However, as I have said to some others...one of the writers must have gone through a brutal divorce when developing this movie.

The graphics were stunning (as always), and the voice talents were at their absolute best. The usual voice talents are there with the addition of Ned Beatty as Lotso (a hugging dictator), Michael Keaton as Ken (who is NOT a girl's toy...yeah right), Timothy Dalton as Mr. Pricklepants, Bonnie Hunt as Dolly, Whoopi Goldberg as Stretch and Blake Clark as Slinky Dog who was originally voiced by the late Jim Varney. Clark was Varney's close friend in life, and he did an excellent job of keeping Slinky's voice the same.

As for the music, Randy Newman (who I'm not too crazy about in general) stayed true to the original Toy Story music. So no foul there. It was great to hear "You've Got a Friend in Me" one last time.

There's no point in gushing over it anymore. It was amazing! Oh and here's a little factoid for you. Sid (the bad kid from the first Toy Story) is the guy picking up trash. Pixar is genius.

5.0 Popcorn Kernels Out Of 5 (a deep plot, heart wrenching, strong connection to my generation and a great end to a great series)



Photo provided by Google

No comments:

Post a Comment