Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Fad That Should Die: 3-D Movies



READER BEWARE: Opinions Are Expressed Below

This is the beginning of a new series where I just complain about fads that should just crash and burn. Will my complaints evoke any changes? Nope. There are enough mindless drones out there to keep useless things alive.

Well anyways...I would like to start off with 3-D movies.

I'm not the only one in the world that knows that 3-D movies are a complete waste of money and effort. I should not have to pay extra every time for the 3-D glasses (shown above) when I have about nine 3-D glasses at home. Yes, you are supposed to recycle the glasses when you leave the theater BUT just think how much money you would save if you just kept the one pair you already purchased and use them for every other 3-D movie you watch. If you did that it would also be more environmentally friendly and more economically friendly for everybody.

I'm sure the extra charge also compensates for the amount of money it takes to convert a movie to 3-D and other expenses that I can not possibly fathom. That's why I say it's all a waste of effort. Making a movie 3-D adds no true value to a movie. A movie should be great and effective in 2-D, and not rely on 3-D technology. Christopher Nolan knows this for a fact...hence Inception and the upcoming The Dark Knight Rises strictly being in 2-D. Thankfully Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 dodged the 3-D bullet (only due to time constraints). Sadly, the 3-D gun is being re-loaded and is aimed straight at HPATDH: Part 2.

So who do I blame for the sudden resurgence in 3-D movies? That's easy...Avatar and James Cameron. Upon reflection...Avatar is the biggest ripoff that had everyone fooled. When the 3-D magic is stripped away, all that remains is the storyline that has already been told in Pocahontas and Ferngully.

Now for the biggest charge yet...3-D movies are not truly a 3-D whimsical. Sure, there is a certain layer of depth added to a movie, but things are not popping out of the screen. I don't want to look at a screen and be like, "Wow...there are layers." I want to look at a screen and be like, "Holy crap! His hand reached out into the audience, and I could have sworn that pie almost hit me in the face!"

That just doesn't happen...I guess my expectations are set too high. Actually, they are high for a reason. Disney World and Universal Studios have 3-D and 4-D experiences that must be seen to be believed (cough...cough...Terminator, Muppets, Mickey's Philharmagic, etc).

3-D movies have been sent to their grave once before. Let them be sent to the grave once again sometime in the near future...along with 3-D televisions.

Photo Courtesy of Google

2 comments: