Friday, November 19, 2010

Popcorn Worthy? - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1


READER BEWARE: Opinions Are Expressed Below

Ever since Harry Potter movies started to hit the silver screen, my sister Kimberly and I have had the long running tradition to go see them all together. We even had the tradition to go the midnight book releases as well. Along the way, my brother-in-law Brandon and niece Halie have been added to the tradition of going to see the movies.

Well tonight, we all reflected as the credits rolled how hopeless, dark, touching and magical the penultimate Harry Potter installment is. I am not going to lie, this movie does not offer a single shred of hope. Part 1 is purely a transitional film filled with dread, gloom and pure evil. One can't help but be depressed and deeply touched when the movie is over.

Following as close to the novel as any movie could, Part 1 still veered off from the original text. Hedwig was more heroic, Dobby appeared where he wasn't supposed to (but I'm not complaining about that), and a character was even spared his impending death! I'm curious to see what direction they will be taking that character now. There were other minor details changed...so no big deal.

Director David Yates has only improved since his Harry Potter debut on Order of the Phoenix, and I'm glad that the best has been saved for last. Character development is a critical issue in this installment, and it is played out well by all of the actors...old and new. I can't describe this development, but there were just these little moments shared between characters that were deeply touching. However, David Yates should really learn how to film a scene concentrating on two characters in movement. I could have sworn I was watching Cloverfield when the camera was severely shaky.

The musical score for Part 1 wasn't bad, but it wasn't phenomenal. The spirit John Williams and Nicholas Hooper pumped into the music was not be felt. Don't get me wrong, I still think Alexandre Desplat did a good job. However, I really liked the Fever Ray song in the Red Riding Hood trailer before the movie started much more than anything in the actual movie.

Three more points of interest for people with young ones. Firstly, the snake scenes are scary for small children. Secondly, Harry and Hermoine have a practically nude make out scene. Necessary? Nope... Lastly, the ending was AMAZING! The movie couldn't have ended any better. It fit the prevailing mood completely.

4.7 Popcorn Kernels Out Of 5 (gloomy, sad, touching, character development, lacking powerful music, I could have sat through Part 2)



Photo courtesy of Google

No comments:

Post a Comment